Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) , the state-run telecom operator is going to offer its subscribers free national roaming from June 15. So, a BSNL user’s geographic location doesn’t matter any more; where ever he or she use his/her mobile in the country, there will be no roaming charges.
This historic decision was announced by Union minister for Communications and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad on the eve of completing 1 year under Modi Govt. BSNL, the oldest telecom operator in the country has a whopping customer base of over 10 Crore users.
Earlier, BSNL slashed its roaming rates by 40% following a TRAI order, but after BSNL has made roaming absolutely free, it would be interesting to see private telecom operators’ strategy to counter it. As a whole, now it is clear that under the new telecom minister, BSNL is going to give tough time for private telecom operators following its innovative free calling facility from Landlines and free roaming.
Full Mobile Number Portability from July, 2015:
It is also announced that Full Mobile Number Portability (MNP) across India would be now live from July, 2015.
Full Mobile Number Portability (MNP) from July this year.
— Ravi Shankar Prasad (@rsprasad) June 2, 2015
Other Major Highlights of BSNL AND MTNL:
Here are some important highlights of BSNL and MTNL that were shared in the press meet:
- BSNL revenue grew by 2.1% in 2014-15reversing the trend of negative growth in previous years.
- BSNL added 47 lakh active subscribers and MTNL added 2.11 lakh subscribers in 2014-15 reversing the trend of negative growth in previous years.
- BSNL is in the process of setting up 25645 new base transceiver stations (BTSs) in Phase-VII of its expansion plan at a cost of Rs 4,805 crore, its first such investment plan in over five years. 15000 such BTSs installed in the last one year.
- BSNL replacing network of landline local exchanges by IP (Internet Protocol) enabled Next Generation Network. 432 telephone exchanges and 70 lakh telephone lines are being replaced.
- MTNL is setting up / upgrading 1080 3G sites in Delhi and Mumbai each and 850 2G sites in Delhi and 616 2G sites in Mumbai.
- Hundred (100) WiFi hotspots at important tourist locations like Varanasi Ghats, Hussain Sagar Lake-Hyderabad, Bangalore, Cochin, Vijayawada etc. have been established by BSNL.